Saturday, August 21, 2010

Accessories Make the Outfit

     I'm a firm believer that no outfit is complete without an accessory of some sort.  I never go anywhere without at least one accessory.  They can update the oldest of wardrobe.  Its easy to start with little pieces like bracelets and rings and move your way up to larger pieces.  Often times these baubles can be rather expensive for typical college student and it's hard deciding between a shiny new necklace and an economy pack of ramen.  With some smart shopping and a good pair of shoes awesome deals can me found!
     
     My sister and I recently hit up a few of our favorite shopping centers.  I made sure that I had cash only, I find that it is easier to budget when you literally have the budget in your hand.  We made our way to stores that we knew would be having clearance sales while stopping in and looking at some new store that had items that best fit our styles.


CHARMING CHARLIE
     One of the new stores was Charming Charlie.  It can be equated as an upscale Icing/Claire's offering some clothing, jewelry, bags, and other accessories.  They cater to a late teen/early 20's crowd. 

     I looked around until I zeroed in on the small clearance rack.  The selection was small but the establishment was relatively new so I didn't expect much.  I didn't really find too much that fit my personality, my sister did an purchased a pink beaded necklace for around $6.  I found this cute bracelet.  Its a soft pink leather wrap bracelet with snap closure.  It's a decent length and can wrap around my wrist at least three times. The original retail price $7.95 but I paid the clearance price $1.00.  The cashier even bagged in in a shiny durable present-like bag. 


CHARLOTTE RUSSE
     Charolotte Russe is more of my sister's type of store, along with A'gaci and Forever 21, so I was surprised when I found this pretty scarf.  While my sister was looking through the clearance clothing items I saw a few hats and scarves. 
     Being the stereotypical girl I was immediately drawn to the hot pink and black scarf.  The print is almost floral and leafy, concentrated on the outward edges while the middle section is solid pink.  The original asking price was $8.50 which was then marked down to $6.99 but marked down clearance items received an additional 50% off.  With tax I ended up spending $3.75. 
   
     In hindsight I should have purchased more scarves, the silvery sequin scarf that reminded me of those Sarah Jessica Parker Gap commercial, except a toned down and not $30.



HOT TOPIC
     Ever since I've been free of uniforms I've shopped at Hot Topic.  At one point the fashion drew me in but now it's for the accessories.  It seems that there is always something worthwhile purchasing. 

     This time around I found this black mesh bracelet originally $10.00 clearance price $1.99, that's 20% of the original!.  It's not my favorite piece I've purchased from them but will definitely compliment my more "punk" outfits. 

      What I have found from experience is that Hot Topic's clearance accessories typically are defective in some way, so you really need to look at the product before purchasing.  In the case of this bracelet one of the purple "gems" wasn't inserted properly so its underside is visible. 


CLAIRE'S
     Typically thought of as a little girls' store, Claire's offers some really versatile finds.  This is where shopping with a friend is very important.  Around the first few weeks of August and January (and probably other times I'm not aware of due to my inability to reach a Claire's) Claire's puts its "seasonal" items on clearance, often 50% off.  To rid themselves of their old items they offer a 10 for 10 but if you do not purchase 10 items you have to pay half price for each item.  Personally I cannot find 10 items that suit me but luckily neither can my sister.   
     Here are a few of the items I found.  A green and purple gem necklace that I've been complimented on a few times already.  Not sure of the original price but it was $10 or less as only items $10 and under count towards 10 for 10.  

      A pair of white pleather fingerless gloves.  I'm not sure what I'll use them for, but I like buying silly impractical items, they always seem to come in handy when you least expect them.  Perhaps for a Lady Gaga costume? 

Since I cut my hair short again into a bob I've been trying to find to find some suitable headbands.   

     This headband might be a bit young looking but I couldn't pass up on it.  I like the blue polka dot headband because of the double bow which i find to be very Alice in Wonderland.

     This is my favorite headband. I'm not sure of the original price since it didn't have a tag but the cashier counted as part of the 10 for 10. The knit headband actually matches a shrug of the same coloring.


Thanks everyone for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment